United Airlines Baggage Fees and Policy
United Airlines Checked Baggage and Baggage Fees
The United Airlines (UA) baggage policy for regular Economy Class fares include the following:
- Carry-on baggage.
- 1 personal item - Fee free
- 1 carry-on item - Fee free
- Checked baggage / Hold luggage - Applicable fees apply
- Overweight and Oversize bags - Applicable fees per bag depending on weight and size categories
- Sports equipment - Applicable fees apply
United Airlines' checked baggage allowance permits Economy and Basic Economy fare passengers to check into the hold bags that measure no more than 62 inches (158 cm) in total and that weigh no more than 50 lbs (23 kg).
- Personal items can be brought on board without charge for some tickets.
- Charges for United Airlines baggage relate to the size and weight of luggage
- MileagePlus Premier travelers have a different allowance
- United Economy passengers have a maximum weight per bag for each journey
- Active U.S. military personnel and their dependents have special allowances
For Basic Economy tickets, the limit is one personal item, no carry-on bag. Passengers on a Basic Economy ticket who bring a full-sized carry-on bag to the gate will be required to check their bag and pay the applicable checked bag fee plus a $25 gate handling charge.
What is the service charge for an overweight bag during non-excess baggage embargo periods? Customers who travel in United Economy with checked baggage weighing more than 50 pounds (23 kg) and not exceeding 70 pounds (32 kg) will be charged at the rate of up to $200 per piece depending on the destination.